They take a bit of time to make, but the effort is totally worth it!
Makes 16 5-6″ tortillas
You will need:
2 loose cups of Instant Corn Masa Flour
Note on buying Instant Corn Masa Flour: Only buy Instant Corn Masa Flour with two ingredients, corn and lime. The brand that I purchased is MASECA Masa Instantanea De Maiz.
1 1/4 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
How to prepare:
1. Combine masa flour, water, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes until it is a soft dough. I used my hands because it was way easier and reminded me of playing with Play-doh! If the dough feels a bit too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Divide dough into 16 balls. Cover with a damp cloth so they don’t dry out.
4. IF YOU HAVE A TORTILLA PRESS: Place a thick sheet of plastic wrap on the bottom and place a ball on top. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and press until the tortilla is 5-6″ across.
IF YOU DON’T HAVE A TORTILLA PRESS: Maybe you can try to roll them out with a floured rolling pan. I don’t know.
5. Careful not to tear them as you peel them off of the plastic.
6. Preheat an ungreased skillet or griddle. Cook the tortillas for about 50 seconds on each side over medium high heat. When you remove them from the heat, cover them with a cloth napkin to keep them warm and soft. Continue with each one until they are all cooked.
Tortillas will stay fresh in a sealed plastic bag for up to a week in the refrigerator.
I hope you had fun making your tortillas,
The Daytime Cook.